Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!

Sunday, January 3, 2010

Sergers - ugh!

I come from a long line of crafters on both sides of my family.  My first sewing machine wasa gift from my great Uncle Morley (on my father's side), who has since passed away.  It was a Brother, and I still have it.  He bought it to make himself curtains when he couldn't find any to suit his taste.  When he heard about my interest in sewing he shipped the machine to me from Florida via UPS.  I admire this creative take charge attitude and am thankful for his generosity.

Similarly, my first serger was a gift from Aunt Patsy (on my mother's side).  It is a White, and though I have had it a relatively short time it has revolutionized my sewing options.  Everything is finished with neat professional edges, and I love how it zips along. 

Unlike the Brother sewing machine, however, the White serger is a *bit* intimidating, and though I may have craftiness in my genes, I do NOT have any natural-born serger knowledge.  Admittedly, I have never even threaded my own serger!  Never. 

Well, today I decided I would try a decorative seam effect called a rolled hem, which required tinkering with the serger.  Despite my efforts in this battle, the serger won.  I was defeated.  The the serger needs to be rethreaded.  I think I would rather shoot one of my toes than to rethread this machine, if that explains my level of anxiety. 

In any case, I am going to try and try and try until I succeed.  And then I am going to get another serger because I want another one. The additional serger I will keep set up and ready to go for decorative stitches or colored threads or whatever.  I just have to figure out how to finance this next plan. 

Please wish me luck with rethreading!

No comments:

Post a Comment